Famous Green Bay Packers coach Vince Lombardi once declared after an aggravating loss, “Gentlemen, this is football!” That is pretty basic. We encourage you to incorporate these “dairy basics” into your dairy herd today.
1) Get on or stay on the Udder Program. Your herd needs constant udder, reproductive, and metabolic health just like everyone else.
2) Take care of your soils (Nearly all feed comes from the soil).“Feed” soils and they will “feed” you.
3) Check wells (test water every 3 months). Pure water: #1 health secret for people and cows.
4) Feed is the cow’s fuel. Test and get the best you can afford – it affects genetic potential & health.
5) Milking system (a “trigger” of high SCC). Each mastitis case costs over $100. Get checked every 90 days. 6) Shop for milk price and premiums. Switching processors could improve your milk check.
7) Reproduction Get on regular vet checks. DVP can help conception. Each repeat breeder +/- $125.
8) Hoof care: The Cow’s Footware Sore feet stop progress. Schedule regular trimming.
9) Seek successful dairymen. Also call us – we want to help you all we can.
10) Dry Cows: The Most Overlooked Group. Many feed ¼ ounce Dairy Vita Pak daily to dry cows, and increase to 1 oz. 3-4 weeks before freshening.
11) Whole milk and calves – God’s “feed” for them. It’s already paid for and better for them. A Penn State study showed 2 yr. olds fed whole milk as calves produce 2,000+ lbs milk than those given milk replacer. For more “peace of mind” on calf health, get a calf milk pasteurizer.
Proverbs 3:5-6 says, “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct thy paths.” When will we learn that we can’t out-think God? It is always best to follow His Word, the Bible. (AG)